Artober Nashville is almost upon us, and things here at Tulip Grove are kicking into high gear(even though we're only a week away from the end of the nine weeks & fall break). Last year I had a community art project that we worked on at our Fall Festival. You may remember our Kandinsky fence....if not look up Kandinsky in the word cloud to the right hand column.
This year, someone donated sound proof ceiling tiles to our district's art teachers!?!?! Odd...but exciting!! Sometimes I see possibilities before I know how to actually follow through with things?!!? ha ha I envisioned an ever changing art wall made from cubes. The tiles were bigger & heavier than I imagined. I first tried Liquid Nails. It worked, but has to dry for 24 hrs..and set on a flat surface. NOBODY HAS TIME FOR THAT?!?! Though I had my doubts about hot gluing it (because of the weight)...I tried it. AND IT WORKED!! Now I went through a lot of hot glue sticks, but they seem very sturdy after double seaming it.
I then tried different paint on the surface. Tempera worked, but it took a lot of paint because of the absorbent surface(I already new acrylic would be way too expensive!!). I then tried watercolor. To my surprise, the watercolor really went on nicely! It is a little light, but we might be able to go back into them later and add focal points using tempera or acrylic in small areas.
So tonight....we have our Fall Festival. I'll have the cubes set up in my room for parents & children...teachers & whoever else comes...to paint!! I'm excited to see how it turns out.